2002 BYLAWS OF THE ALASKAN APPLE USER GROUP
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of the organization will be the Alaskan Apple Users Group.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
The Alaskan Apple Users Group was established as an educational forum on January 8th 1997 for the purpose of sharing information, resources and enthusiasm about the Macintosh, computers.
ARTICLE III – LOCATION
The principal office for the transaction of the corporation’s business shall be located in Anchorage, Alaska. The directors may change the location of the principal office by a quorum vote of the Board.
ARTICLE IV – MEMBERSHIP
Any individual may become a member upon application and payment of the current dues. Rights of membership shall include, but are not restricted to the following:
1. Attendance at all general meetings, including Board of Director meetings by invitation of the Board.
2. The right to vote in general elections.
3. Participation in Special Interest Groups should the occasion arise to form them.
4. Subscription to the newsletter, the “Communiquï¿½”.
5. Access to the Alaskan Apple Users Group library.
6. Purchase of shareware disks at reduced rates.
Dues shall be paid by members upon the application and annually thereafter on the applicable anniversary date. Membership shall terminate for any member whose dues become past due.
The rights and privileges of a member shall not be assignable. Upon the death of any member, that membership shall cease. Each member shall have only one vote at a meeting of the members.
ARTICLE V – TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP
The membership of any member will terminate upon the occurrence of any of the following events:
1. Engaging in activities and /or behavior contrary to the interests of the group by discretion of a quorum of the board.
2. The failure to pay annual dues or fines at the time of the return of club property within the times set forth by the bylaws of the Alaskan Apple Users Group.
3. The resignation of the member.
4.The failure of a member to renew membership for the following year by paying annual dues within the times set forth by the Board of Directors.
5. The unauthorized duplication of any copyrighted items at any corporate function. Such termination shall be effective only by the majority vote of the Board of Directors meeting of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VI – DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
The Alaskan Apple Users Group shall have eight (8) officers elected by the membership in an election at the general meeting.Officers shall be elected as provided in the Articles of Incorporation. Responsibilities of these officers (BOD, Board of Directors) shall be as follows:
1. Once elected, the BOD shall vote in a President by simple majority of the full Board. Proxies will be allowed if a member is absent by an act of God or nature.Once a President is elected by the BOD members the President will appoint remaining Board Members to the following positions with the following Office responsibilities:
a. The Vice – President shall be responsible for the agendas of meetings and acting as the President in his absence, oversee software evaluation program, SIGS ( special interest groups) promotion, arranging for presenters at meetings, making arrangements for meeting room, and telephone message recording on a monthly basis.
b. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the administration of the groups accounts and funds, and for filling out all forms and reports to comply with business and government agencies. Financial reports shall be presented at all general meetings and published in the Communique.
c. The Secretary shall be responsible for the taking of minutes at board meetings, typing them and having a copy at the general meeting for the membership. He is responsible for contacting guests that register at meetings, and contacting all expired members to see about renewing. He also sends a copy of board minutes to webmaster.
d. The Librarian shall be responsible for the maintenance, control, and sales of all library materials, this includes collecting fines on overdue materials.
e. The Newsletter Editor shall be responsible for the publication of the newsletter, the “Communiquï¿½” on a monthly basis.
f. The Public Relations/Webmaster will contact media about upcoming meetings and events to promote the AAUG, keep the AAUG website current with useful information.
g. At Large member – performs tasks as assigned by the President
2. The President shall be the executive officer, Chairperson of the BOD, responsible for overseeing monthly meetings, and representing the membership as an official spokesperson. The President has the power to appoint members of the Alaskan Apple Users Group to perform special functions, but does not have the authority to appoint new BOD members. At no time shall the office of President be vacant.
ARTICLE VII – VACANCIES
Any vacancy occurring in the Board of Directors may be filled by the affirmative vote of the remaining majority of directors. A Director elected to fill a vacancy shall be elected for the unexpired term of his/her predecessor in office.
ARTICLE VIII- REMOVAL OF OFFICERS
At the discretion of a quorum of the Board, removal of an Officer may include, but need not be limited to the following:
1. Misuse of the Alaskan Apple User Group funds.
2. Abusing the privileges of office.
3. Any public action which defames the Alaskan Apple Users Group.
4. Nonperformance of duties (whether assigned or assumed).
5. Repeated unexcused absences from Board or General meetings. The procedure for the removal of an Officer is as follows:
a. The motion to remove an Officer can be made by any BOD member at a board meeting.
b. A vote to remove an Officer must pass by a majority of all current Board members.
ARTICLE IX – QUORUM
A quorum shall consist of one-half plus one of the Board of Director members. At present, four (4) Board of Directors shall be considered a quorum.
ARTICLE X – MEETINGS
General meetings of the Alaskan Apple Users Group shall be conducted once a month at a pre-scheduled, preannounced time, date and location. The February meeting is for the election of Officers of the AAUG.
ARTICLE XI – TREASURERS REPORT
The Treasurer shall provide a monthly statement of income and expenses available to the membership at each general meeting. Members may view financial records by appointment.
ARTICLE XII – FISCAL YEAR
The fiscal year of the Alaskan Apple Users Group shall end on the last day of February each year.
ARTICLE XIII – DISSOLUTION
Upon the dissolution of the Alaskan Apple Users Group, all club assets shall be donated to another nonprofit organization.
ARTICLE XIV – DISCLAIMER
The Alaskan Apple Users Group recognizes the propriety nature of commercial software. The Alaskan Apple users Group actively discourages the duplication of software in violation of applicable laws. Persons engaging in such activity are solely responsible for their actions.
ARTICLE XV – LIABILITY
1. No individual member or Officer shall be held personally liable for any actions of the Alaskan Apple Users Group.
2. Any claims against the Alaskan Apple Users Group must first prove severe negligence or intent to injure or defraud.
ARTICLE XVI – AMENDMENTS
Any Alaskan Apple Users Group board member may propose amendments to these bylaws. Proposed amendments to the bylaws must be presented to the board membership at any board meeting. Amendments shall become effective upon passage by a legal quorum as described in Article IX of these bylaws.
Certification of Adoption of Bylaws
Know all persons by these presents:
That we the undersigned, Directors of the Alaskan Apple Users Group, do hereby certify that the foregoing Bylaws were duly adopted as the Bylaws of the Corporation at a meeting held on the 17th day of May, 2000, and that the same now do constitute the Bylaws of said Corporation.
________________________________ President, Gary Miller
________________________________ Vice-President, Tom Shackle
________________________________ Treasurer, Bob Thomas
________________________________ Secretary, Jim Gamble